1. What is Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)?
Intra uterine insemination (IUI) is an assisted reproductive procedure in which a doctor uses a small catheter to insert washed sperm into the uterus.
For infertile couples, performing IUI will help sperm pass through the vaginal environment and uterine mucus more favorably, and at the same time putting sperm in the position closest to the egg increases the chances of conception.
In Vietnam, the first artificial insemination technique was known in 1957 at the Academy of Agriculture and Forestry. After recording the positive reviews, it is applied to human experiments. Up to now, intrauterine insemination (IUI) is still evaluated as a highly effective assisted reproductive technique, suitable for many cases of infertility.
2. In what cases is the intrauterine insemination (IUI) technique indicated?
2.1. For women:
– Infertility due to ovulation disorder
– Infertility of unknown cause
– Infertility due to endometriosis
– Infertility due to cervical factor
– Cases of sperm storage for IUI
– Applicable to single women or couples whose husband does not have sperm and wishes to have children by this method.
Condition: Have at least one working oviduct
2.2. For men:
– Infertility due to weak, abnormal husband’s sperm
Condition: Normal husband’s sperm or mild deficiency
3. What to prepare before performing the intrauterine insemination (IUI) technique?
For each infertile couple, facing the decision to perform intrauterine insemination will certainly have a lot of questions and wishes to be answered. Andrology And Fertility Hospital of Hanoi sends you useful information about what to prepare before IUI.
3.1. Keeping your mind at ease
IUI is a process that is not always easy and many couples do not succeed the first time. Therefore, keeping a good mood, psychological comfort is really a useful medicine to help couples physically as well as mentally to always be in a positive state. It is the positive thoughts that will have a great impact on the outcome of the IUI process.
3.2. Prepare finance
Proactive financial preparation is the first step to take before starting the IUI process. Right from the beginning, couples will need to have a general examination with the indications for testing and examination by the doctor. For each medical condition that requires different treatment of the spouse, the cost also varies, in addition to the medicine cost and IUI services.
For couples living far away, transportation and accommodation costs (if necessary) will be incurred. Therefore, being well prepared financially will help families feel secure to start IUI.
3.3. Prepare necessary documents
To complete the IUI application, the Hospital will ask the couples to provide the necessary documents, which is also a mandatory procedure of any medical facility when performing assisted reproductive methods in general. Accordingly, the documents you need to prepare are::
– Original citizen identity card or national identity card: The hospital keeps a copy and returns the original to you after checking
– Original marriage certificate (certificate of singleness if not married): The hospital keeps a copy and returns the original to you after comparison
– Other necessary documents as prescribed by a specialist doctor
4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of intrauterine insemination (IUI)?
Lower cost of implementation compared to other assisted reproductive methods
Compared to in vitro fertilization (IVF) or other assisted reproductive methods, intrauterine insemination (IUI) is not too expensive to perform. With a moderate cost, many couples can realize their dream of becoming a father and mother more easily.
For those who have to use donor sperm from a sperm bank, the cost will be higher, but this is still an effective option for infertile couples.
Less invasive and affects the wife’s body
During IUI, ovarian stimulation drugs are prescribed by doctors depending on each person’s situation, but the dosage will generally be lighter than IVF stimulation. In addition, the technique of specialized doctors to insert sperm into the uterus is very quick, safe and less invasive or painful for the patient.
Reasonable cost, easy to perform, but IUI, like other assisted reproductive methods, is not 100% perfect but still has certain disadvantages. In particular, the older the wife is, the lower the success rate will be, this is a limitation of sperm injection into the uterus. In addition, this method has some other disadvantages, which are:
Risk of multiple pregnancy
Ovulation drugs are prescribed by doctors for the wife’s body to stimulate ovulation, but this can lead to more than one ovulating at the same time, thereby leading to the risk of multiple pregnancy. Women with multiple pregnancies are at high risk of preterm birth and miscarriage. In case the mother’s health is not guaranteed or the number of fetuses is more than 2, the patient will be consulted by a specialist to reduce pregnancy to ensure safety.
Risk of ovarian hyperstimulation
The use of ovulation-stimulating drugs can cause ovarian hyperstimulation with unpleasant symptoms in women such as headaches, hot flashes and insomnia, or it can also cause bloating and abdominal pain.
Most of the above symptoms will resolve on their own and subside after 10-14 days. During this period, patients need to monitor and treat symptoms to prevent possible complications. Usually, cases of severe reactions rarely occur, but if they do, the patient needs to be treated aggressively and promptly.
Risk of infection
The risk of infection occurs when the wife has an infection of the uterus and fallopian tubes due to an infected sperm sample or an infection in the vagina and cervix during treatment. The risk of infection accounts for 1% of all intrauterine insemination cases.
Signs of uterine infection: fever, vaginal bleeding, abdominal pain. In these cases, it is necessary to contact a specialist for appropriate treatment.
5. How is intrauterine insemination (IUI) performed?
Step 1: General health examination of both husband and wife
Couples need to perform a general examination at the Hospital for a specialist doctor to assess the situation to determine if they are eligible to perform intrauterine insemination and give appropriate advice. Each examination time must be accurate:
– For the wife, there will be 2 timelines to visit:
+ Day 2-3 menstrual cycle (hormonal test, secondary follicle count ultrasound)
+ 2-5 days after menstruation, abstain from sex (gynecological tests, Hysterosalpingography)
– For the husband who can come to the doctor at any time but need to abstain from ejaculating for 3-5 days to do semen analysis.
Step 2: Complete IUI Record
After having enough examination results and receiving advice from a doctor, couples need to provide the originals of the following documents to complete the medical record.:
– Identity card or citizen’s identity card
– Marriage registration
– In addition, the hospital will have an application for IUI that needs to be signed by both husband and wife
Step 3: Ovarian stimulation
– Day 2 or day 3 of the menstrual cycle, the wife is given an ovulatory drug to stimulate the ovaries to produce good follicles.
– Day 6-7 of the menstrual cycle, the wife goes to an ultrasound to have a specialist assess the response of the ovaries, through which the doctor will adjust the medicine and schedule the next ultrasound date.
– Around day 9-10, if there is a “ripe” follicle, the wife is injected with ovulation medicine. At the same time, the husband was assigned to collect semen for the hospital to filter and select good motile sperm.
Note: Depending on each case, a specialist doctor may prescribe IUI with a natural cycle, without ovarian stimulation.
Step 4: Sperm collection and filtration
3-5 days before IUI pump, the husband needs to abstain from using drinks and stimulants, abstain from ejaculation, then proceed to collect sperm at the Hospital according to the instructions of the doctor.
The husband’s sperm will be transferred to the Lab for washing and washing, this operation will help screen for weak, malformed, less motile sperm… from there, healthy and quality sperms will be selected to be injected into the uterus.
Step 5: Injecting sperm into the uterus
– After 24-48 hours from the ovulation injection, sperm injection into the wife’s uterus is conducted. Normally at Andrology and Fertility Hospital of Hanoi, in one cycle of performing IUI will be divided into 2 injections.
– The doctor will use a specialized instrument which is a small, rounded, soft catheter that is inserted from the vagina into the wife’s uterus and directly injects sperm into the uterine cavity. This technique is quick, simple, and painless, so there is no need for anesthesia or sedation.
– The wife rests in place for about 15 minutes. At home, the wife can still work normally but limit her activities
The second injection will be performed 24 hours after the first injection with the same operation and procedure as the first injection..
Step 6: Pregnancy test
After injecting sperm into the uterus, the patient is prescribed hormonal support drugs according to prescription. 14 days after pumping, the wife will be tested by beta hCG test to know the exact pregnancy result.
6. How much does it cost to perform intrauterine insemination (IUI) at the Andrology and Fertility Hospital of Hanoi?
Vietnam is considered among the top countries with the lowest cost of artificial insemination (IUI) in the world. Currently, the cost of one time to perform IUI at Hanoi Hospital of Andrology and Fertility ranges from 7.000.000 VND to 10.000.000 VND including drug and IUI pump service. However, depending on the situation of each couple, the cost level will change, if the wife or husband has gynecological / male diseases, there will be additional costs to treat completely before treatment. during IUI injection.
In order to create the best conditions for you to have time to arrange your finances, when performing intrauterine insemination at AF Hanoi, proceed to any stage you pay up to that stage, not the full payment. set of costs at the same time from the very beginning
7. Why should you choose intrauterine insemination (IUI) at Andrology and Fertility Hospital of Hanoi?
Andrology and Fertility Hospital of Hanoi has risen to be among the top quality and prestigious hospitals in the field of Assisted Reproductive Medicine. Modern facilities, a team of experienced and dedicated specialists and doctors have helped the hospital constantly develop and accompany thousands of infertile families to welcome their babies over the years. Many cases of intrauterine insemination (IUI) have been successful in the first time, every baby is born, every happy smile because of being a father and mother of families is A great source of motivation for the hospital to be more confident in carrying out its mission of bringing children’s laughter to every home.
7.1. Comprehensive treatment: Assisted Reproductive – Andrology – Obstetrics and gynecology
The intensive coordination between the specialties at Andrology and Fertility Hospital of Hanoi is a highlight in the health care process for infertile couples. Customers are cared for carefully from the initial stage, to the treatment of diseases and pregnancy care for pregnant women up to 30-32 weeks. The close connection in the hospital’s medical examination and treatment system has shown professionalism to provide customers with the most comprehensive and effective services.
7.2. Dedicated service attitude of doctors and hospital staff
– Coming to Andrology and Fertility Hospital of Hanoi, out will be welcomed and examined by dedicated doctors and nurses with the enthusiastic support of hospital staffs to bring the most comfort to customers
– Security system and customer identification ensure accuracy, avoid information confusion
– Results of examination and testing are available on the same day, customers do not have to wait long
– Customer staff support from the time the customer visits until the client is pregnant and has a successful baby
– 24/7 hotline 090 222 1268 to support and answer information for dedicated and thoughtful customers
– Room system is spacious, clean and full of necessary services to help customers feel secure in treatment.
– Spa on the 9th floor creates a relaxing space to help families feel more comfortable during their visit to the hospital
8. What are the symptoms of a successful intrauterine insemination technique?
After about 10 days of IUI, if favorable, you may see signs of successful IUI. In fact, these manifestations will be similar to normal conception. The hospital sends you the common signs of pregnancy 2 weeks after IUI:
8.1. Menstrual delay
Whether you are pregnant by natural or IUI method, a missed period is still the most common and important sign that you know you are pregnant or not. When you see a missed period after IUI, you can take a pregnancy test with a test strip or a beta hCG test to check.
8.2. Chest tightness, chest pain
At the beginning of pregnancy, a woman’s breasts become more sensitive to external influences, feeling pain or swelling. This is also a positive sign that you may have had a successful IUI. However, if the condition is too uncomfortable and lasts too long and is accompanied by a missed period, you should see a specialist.
8.3. Bleeding in the cervix
This is the first symptom after successful IUI, which is commonly referred to as “blood signal” but not everyone has this symptom. When the embryo moves into the uterus and begins to implant, the cervix will bleed and the vagina will produce red mucus, the amount of blood will be small, with a light pink color.
8.4. Feeling dyspepsia
Many of you will have a feeling of fullness during early pregnancy, which is caused by the increase of the hormone progesterone, which slows down the digestive process, causing the stomach to become bloated. This phenomenon is less common but is a sign that you have successfully fertilized after IUI.
8.5. Dizziness and Nausea
In the early stages of pregnancy, many people will begin to have morning sickness, fear of a certain smell or food because the nose becomes more sensitive than usual, leading to nausea. You may experience some dizziness at this time. This phenomenon is caused by an increase in the hormone estrogen, which makes the sensitive organs, especially the sense of smell, more sensitive.
8.6. Fatigue accompanied by sleepiness
Progesterone levels will rise above the normal threshold during pregnancy, leading to lower blood sugar, less blood production and slower oxygen to the brain. The body expends a lot of energy, making the body in a state of fatigue with a feeling of sleepiness.
8.7. Frequent cravings and difficult to control
Hormonal changes in a woman’s body at the beginning of pregnancy. You will suddenly crave food that you have never eaten or can’t eat before. Hunger attacks come in close frequency and often come at different times of the day.
9. What is the success rate of Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) at Andrology and Fertility Hospital of Hanoi?
At Andrology and Fertility Hospital of Hanoi, the current average IUI success rate is 20%. However, the success rate of IUI depends on some factors below:
– Age of performing IUI: For women under 35 years of age, the level of success will be higher than for those over 40 years old. When entering the age of over 40, natural fertility will be reduced, especially in women of older age, the ovarian reserve and egg quality decline markedly. This makes it more difficult to implement assisted reproductive methods.
– Long-term infertility: In cases of infertility, long-term infertility, have tried many treatments but still can’t conceive, the success rate of IUI injection is very low, because each year passes the pregnancy rate. can all be further reduced. Therefore, when treating infertility for too long without any results, it will still be difficult to perform IUI.
– Sperm are too weak, the number is too small: in a healthy man, every 1ml can contain up to 10 million sperm, but if the sperm count is too low, If the quality is not high, the chances of successful fertilization will decrease.
10. Questions about intrauterine insemination (IUI)
Actively seeking information about IUI will provide a lot of useful knowledge to help couples have an effective IUI cycle. Here are some questions commonly asked by Andrology and Fertility Hospital of Hanoi during examination and treatment:
Can a restricted fallopian tube do IUI?
According to MSc, Dr. Le Thi Thu Hien – Deputy Director and Head of the Assisted Reproductive Department – Andrology and Fertility Hospital of Hanoi, the fallopian tube has a very important function in the fertilization process. The fallopian tube is the tube that carries the ovum from the ovary to the uterus and is also the place where the fertilized egg travels to the uterus. The speaker of the fallopian tube has a structure of 10-12 tentacles, these tend to catch and capture the ovum and put it into the fallopian tube.
Therefore, the fallopian tubes need to be open and at the same time soft and easy to move to be able to catch the ovum, move the ovum, sperm and fertilized egg into the uterus. There are a number of medical conditions such as pelvic endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease caused by Chlamydia … causing adhesions, blocked fallopian tubes.
With limited fallopian tubes, to get pregnant naturally, as well as to evaluate the success rate of IUI technique depends on a lot of factors, the basic needs to be met are: Quality of eggs and sperm must ensure, ensure factors for the egg and sperm to meet, ensure that the egg after conception moves to the uterus for implantation and development. After assessing all these factors in combination with your health status, pregnancy history, age … the clinician just recommend which method to proceed, or how IUI estimates the success rate…
MSc, Dr. Le Thi Thu Hien said that if the husband has a normal semen analysis, the wife is examined and tested only with two blocked fallopian tubes, which affects the spermatogenesis process. For eggs and fertilized eggs to move into the uterus for implantation, there is still the possibility of natural pregnancy. Therefore, couples who find it difficult to conceive, infertile… need to go to the doctor soon, so that depending on the specific case, the doctor will give appropriate treatment methods.
Is IUI painful?
Normally, the process of injecting sperm into the uterus takes only a few minutes and is performed by experienced specialists of the Hospital, so you can be completely assured of the doctor’s skill. During the sperm injection process, the doctor will insert a specialized instrument through the vagina into the client’s uterus, so the private area will feel more sensitive and a little uncomfortable in the lower abdomen. However, most of the customers who have done this technique feel very safe, with little pain. Therefore, you do not need to worry too much when performing this method and trust the advice of the doctor.