Not only depends on the thickness of the lining, but also on the shape of the lining, the size of the uterus. Therefore, you should follow the advice and instructions of a specialist doctor to examine you, according to the literature, the mucosal thickness of about 8-14mm will be most likely to conceive. Outside of that range, there is still a chance of getting pregnant but the odds will be lower
Intrauterine insemination is a procedure performed by inserting a very small, soft catheter through the cervix and put washed sperm into the uterus. This is an easy and rapid procedure, normally it takes 5-10 minutes then patient can go home, no pain.
Normally, the semen sample is collected by masturbation and contained into a sterile vial, or a special condom. Then, it sends to the laboratory within 1/2 hour from ejaculation for washing then choosing the best sperm to do IUI. The semen probably, is collected at home but it is better collected in the bathroom, or in the private room of the clinic where the couple do IUI.
The time to complete sperm wash depends on the washing technique, normally about 30 minutes to 120 minute. After washing, sperm can continue to enrichment themselves to harvest more quality sperm for IUI.
IUI is usually performed within 24-48 hours after trigger by HCG injection. If choosing only time, the procedure is performed after 36h, if choosing 2 times, the procedure is performed at 24 and another time at 48h. Several reports showed that two-time-protocol has higher 6 % rate of success than one-time-protocol. In AF Hanoi, we apply the two-time- protocol for most case to have higher success for our patient.
The success rate depends on the quality of sperm and oocyte. According to statistics the rate of IUI success is only 6% for natural cycle. If used follicle stimulation to increase more oocyte (egg) the success rate rise to 26%. Overall, IUI success rate for one cycle is 15-20%, the rate of multiple pregnancies is 23 – 30%.
In AF hospital, there was reported that on a lucky day, we had 3 case of pregnant after performing 4 IUI cases and the biggest multiple pregnancies is 4 fetus, then one was dead naturally and 03 developed normally, last the women got birth with 2 girls and 01 son.
Premature ovarian failure often presents similar to when women enter perimenopause with typical signs such as:
- Menstrual disorders: Menstrual irregularities, menstrual irregularities, and even amenorrhea.
- Decreased sex drive, vaginal dryness.
- Vasomotor disorders: Hot flashes, hot flushes, or night sweats.
- There are also symptoms of urinary disorders, osteoporosis, difficulty concentrating, agitation …
However, there are cases of ovarian failure that come very slowly, without any symptoms, the patient only discovered during examination because of infertility..
To prevent premature ovarian failure, women should:
- Visit gynecological and reproductive health as soon as there are abnormal signs or every 6 months to be able to screen, detect and treat early diseases affecting ovarian function.
- Maintain genital hygiene, use measures to prevent sexually transmitted diseases. When there are gynecological inflammatory diseases, it is necessary to intervene and treat thoroughly, to avoid recurrence.
- Limit and prevent exposure to toxic chemicals and radiation.
- Do not abuse stimulants such as alcohol, tobacco, coffee, cocaine, addictive substances…
- Having a scientifically balanced living and working regime, minimizing stress and excessive pressure, especially avoiding prolonged psychological stress.
- Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy body weight.
- Eat a nutritious, balanced and varied diet. Should eat a lot of green vegetables, fresh fruits … because these are foods rich in minerals and vitamins to help strengthen the body’s resistance and should drink a lot of water.
- Do not abuse hormonal drugs of unknown origin or not prescribed by a doctor.
Young women of reproductive age with ovarian disease requiring surgery or preparing for cancer treatment should consult a fertility specialist before proceeding with treatment.
When you find yourself with any of the above abnormal signs, you should go to a specialist hospital for examination and advice on how to intervene promptly!
Spec.Dr I. Ho Van Thang – Andrology and Infertility Hospital of Hanoi